Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And now for something nice and random

***UPDATED**** Now with a translation to English

He is controversial in some circles.

He has a kinda weasel look about him.

He is a brilliant musician.

I am addicted to this song. I do not care if it is sexist. I do not care if it seems to celebrate a rather simplistic method of dealing with life's challenges. I just love this song. The music, the lyrics...everything.

I have now listened to it FIVE times in a row.

So, you know, I thought I would share the obsession.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Aviv Gefen singing Black & White.

Enjoy!



Translation (and all errors) by me....

You wrote me that you are alone
You are living with him and feel on the side (does not translate well)
And to be with him is like years alone

Don't wait, don't let life go by in black and white
I will add colors; I am coming to save you.
Wait—I am on my way to you
I am coming, I am coming, I am coming.

You told me that I am like a postcard
That someone sent you from a wonderful place far away
Like the Garden of Eden in the fall

Don't wait, don't let life go by in black and white
I will add colors; I am coming to save you.
Wait—I am on my way to you
I am coming, I am coming, I am coming.

You told me, "listen, you don't understand"
One does not shoot at a fuel truck on the freeway (sounds a lot better in Hebrew)
You told me, "listen, you don't understand"
One does not shoot at a fuel truck on the freeway

Don't wait, don't let life go by in black and white
I will add colors; I am coming to save you.
Wait—I am on my way to you
I am coming, I am coming, I am coming.

Years alone….

כתבת לי שאת לבד
את חייה איתו ומרגישה בצד
ואיתו זה כמו שנים, לבד

אל תחכי, אל תתני לחיים לעבור בשחור לבן
אני אוסיף לך צבעים, אני בא להציל אותך
חכי, אני בדרך אלייך
אני בא, אני בא, אני בא

אמרת שאני כמו גלויה
שמישהו שלח לך ממקום רחוק ונפלא
כמו גן עדן, בסתיו

אל תחכי, אל תתני לחיים לעבר בשחור לבן
אני אוסיף לך צבעים,
אני בא להציל אותך
חכי, אני בדרך אלייך
אני בא, אני בא, אני בא

אמרת לי תשמע, אתה לא מבין
לא יורים על משאית בנזין בכביש המהיר.
אמרת לי תשמע, אתה לא מבין
לא יורים על משאית בנזין בכביש המהיר.

אל תחכי, אל תתני לחיים לעבור בשחור לבן
אני אוסיף לך צבעים, אני בא להציל אותך
חכי אני בדרך אלייך
אני בא, אני בא, אני בא

שנים לבד...

6 comments:

Mara and Dario said...

Wow! Great song, I loved it. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the hebrew lyrics. for the hebrew-challenged, can you post a translation as well? toda raba.

Gila said...

Done!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the quick response to my request. it's better than an ulpan, when i scroll up and down between the english and the hebrew as i listen to the lyrics. the song IS addictive.i don't know the idiom to "feel on the side." is there an english equivalent? sadly, i understand "shooting a fuel truck on the freeway" perfectly. thanks again.

cba said...

"feel on the side "

I would say a close meaning would be "left on the sidelines."

Anonymous said...

"feel on the side" is a bad translation.
the real meaning is "feel as if you're on the side (and not in the middle of attention)"