Monday, July 28, 2008

A mini post

I have little to say right now, but Haveil Havelim is up at Frume Sarah's place.

And a question...I was wondering if anyone else shares my little phobia. As follows: I find that, over the last several years (read "post-bombing, post-cancer and post-last year's emergency eye surgery right before the Alyn Ride") I use the phrase בעזרת השם, "G-d willing", all the time. As in, "Next Friday night, my friend and I are planning on going to a sleazy bar where we can get wasted, pick up loose men and screw them in the bathrooms. B'ezrat Hashem!"

I know why I do this ("this" referring to use of the phrase, and not of said loose men). I am constantly aware that my best-laid plans can easily be laid to waste, and in fact often are. The phrase has become something of an amulet against עין הרע "the evil eye". I have a constant fear that if I forget to give him credit, G-d will get pissy and will bitch-slap me again. And quite frankly, I would rather He did not. The problem is that it confuses people. I look like a typical Tel Avivit whore of babylon but I speak as though I just wandered out of Bnei Brak. I get a lot of bewildered "ummm...you're...religious????" remarks.

On the bright side, assuming that people take me for religious, I am doing loads to convince poeple that open-mindedness and diversity exist in observant Judaism.

9 comments:

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

First of all, it just makes you Israeli, not religious. :)

Second of all, I, too "suffer" from the same thing. Of course, "bitch-slap" is not a phrase I'd use to describe what I'm getting from G-d, but I get your point. ;)

We might be coming from different places, but I have the exact same habit. I love you Gila!

aliyah06 said...

I think it's the neighborhood--meaning Israel. I was never a B"H or B'ezrat H"S enunciator before making aliyah, but I hear it constantly and so it has seeped into my every day vocabulary. And its probably so commonplace here because we live so much on the edge, and subconsciously (or consciously for those who take time to think about it) life here is intense and subject to abrupt change without notice. We know we don't live in the Western Bubble where Things Like That Happen To Other People.....we ARE those Other People.

Baila said...

I am also big into the "B'ezrat Hashem" thing. I confuse people as well. I wear a thingie on my head (that drives me nuts) and swear like a sailor and then say those words (As in "*@#$ you, Be'ezrat Hashem!")...and I do think it's because I've learned that whatever plans we make, well, G-d has a way of deciding whether they are going to be....or not....

See you at the convention, (B.H.)

:-D

MoChassid said...

B'Ezras Hashem, I will see you at the Alyn Ride. (Even though you are apparently going over to he dark side (off-road)). I will be on the challenge ride.

kleine Maus said...

All this talk about sleazy bars, get wasted, the bitch-slap .............
is to hide your insecurity.

cba said...

I've always been like that. Lav dafka "B-ezrat HaShem" but always something like "I plan/hope/intend to" or "God willing" [which is, of course, the exact same thing] or "all being well" [which is, of course, the exact same thing].

I'm not superstitious, I just don't believe in tempting fate :-)

westbankmama said...

I worked for a while in a non-religious office, and would hear the f-word and Baruch Hashem in the same sentence. At first it really threw me, but I learned that this is Israel!

YMedad said...

Of course, it was Menachem Begin who famously used that phrase causing many people to think of him fondly as "the last Jewish Prime Minister".

Mo-ha-med said...

We do the same all the time - Inshallah. And it's not a religious thing at all.
We did develop a secondary meaning for Inshallah, which according to the context may also mean 'when pigs will fly'.
"So, can I take tomorrow and the day after off, I need to go party with a friend in Alex(andria)?"
"Hmm... yep, inshallah".