Friday, August 22, 2008

More Adventure Blogging

Today I went on a tour of the West Bank with Gadi, Suleiman, another poor sad heroic victim of terror ®, some tourists, a left-wing American in love with Revolution and a passel of loud-mouthed, chutzpanim, Arabic speaking, Israeli right-wingers. To call it interesting would be an understatement.

I will write more about this particular escapade later (I took lots of typed and recorded notes). but thought I would start your Shabbat off with a particularly surreal moment.

At the end of the event, Suleiman asked me to give him a lift to Pisgat Ze'ev where his brother was to pick him up. He made sure to show me his ishur (entry permit). (It is sort of like a certificate of kashrut, but for people instead of food.) He showed me the permit both in order to assure me that I was not engaging in any behavior that would incur the interest of the Shabak and so that I would have a better idea of the restrictions imposed on the Palestinian population. "I have it easy. Most of the Palestinians do not have this." Even with his relative freedom, he envied me Tel Aviv, he told me. "In Tel Aviv, you can just pick up and go where you want when you want. You do not have to think about it. We have to think about checkpoints and roadblocks and whether and how we can get in and out of places". For example, this morning, he told me, he was dropped off at the checkpoint at Pisgat Ze'ev, walked through, and was picked up by Gadi on the Israeli side. "I do have a car at home, but it does not have an ishur".

Me: Umm...excuse me?

Suleiman: I have a permit to enter Israel. But I could not get one for my car.

In other words, Suleiman is just fine, but his car is an enemy of the State.

All righty then!

15 comments:

shavuatov said...

Gila, I found your blog today. I am astounded by it. I'm converting to Judaism and am in that stge where I am absorbing everything I can, immersing myself in others' experiences.

I have to say, your blog is unique.

The very best of luck with it and your life. You're on my Blogroll.

Shabbat Shalom.

Nobody said...

Left- or right-wingers sound like fallen angels.

aliyah06 said...

The law enforcement part of me wants to explain: HE is kosher for security but who knows who could be driving his car? The car gets an isshur so it can be driven through without having to check the ID of the occupant. Which is why almost no one gets an isshur for his/her car if one is a resident of the West Bank.

Gila said...

Shavua--welcome, and thanks

Nobody--there is something to that. These guys are actually great--I really loved hanging out with them. They are also old-timers, so one can learn a ton from them.

Aliyah06--You are absolutely right (am not law enforcement, but what you are saying makes sense). Another friend of mine also pointed out that it is easier to search a person than a car and that it is a lot easier to conceal things in a machine. I suppose what I was trying to express was just the theoretical silliness of things. Or...how to put this...when I heard it, before I had time to sit and reason it out, that was the initial reaction: the guy is okay; the car is a terrorist.

I like that bizarro moments. They keep life fun. Granted, they make me seem far less intelligent. Small price to pay for the entertainment.

aliyah06 said...

Not less intelligent, chavera, simply more attuned to the irony of existence!

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Hey! Irony is holy. Spider Robinson said that G-d is an Iron. I mean, if a felon is a person who does a felony, then G-d MUST be an Iron.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

These guys are actually great--I really loved hanging out with them.

Hitler could put on some of the best parties.

It seems like you are getting confused by the gray again. You can't see what is so clear.

They are using you. They are using you to serve as anti-Israeli propaganda.

Gila said...

The right-wing Israelis are using me? (those are the ones I was referring to).

Wow. Who knew?

But to compare them to Hitler...I mean, don't you think that this is a bit much? Granted, they are right wing, but I have a lot of right wing readers. I think they may be offended.

asher said...

chutzpanim is a noun, not an adjective, dear.

What were they doing - filling up seats on the bus so there wouldn't be room?

anonymous is back (one of them at least) I notice but will not expound, after all it's not my blog, I only rent space here

Nobody said...

"Hitler could put on some of the best parties"

How do you know?, you were a guest?

Gila said...

"How do you know?, you were a guest?"

LOL

Based on his comments, I am starting to suspect the answer is yes.

asher said...

maybe I'm just being obtuse

passel of loud-mouthed, chutzpanim, Arabic speaking, Israeli right-wingers

how do we assume that you meant

passel of loud-mouthed, chutzpanim, Arabic speaking, JEWISH Israeli right-wingers

like I say, maybe just obtuse (this week's word)

Gila said...

No, I am being clueless. Yes--Jewish right-wingers.

In the (rather unlikely) case I have any Arab-Israeli readers, my apologies.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Definitely appreciated the irony.

Noticed you only used derogatory adjectives for the "right wingers"

Just observations...

Gila said...

1) Was using chutzpanim in an American sense, and not the derogatory Israeli meaning.

2) Nu, "left wing American in love with revolution"...is not exactly a positive desription.

Y'all gotta get off the high horses and just relax a bit.