Thursday, January 22, 2009

Carrots

You all want to know how Roxie the Diet is doing, yes? Good, because I must share.

I am not hungry. I do not have the munchies. No, it is much worse than that. I am going through fun-food withdrawal. My throat is tight. My eyes are strained. My thoughts are scattered. All I can think about is foodfoodfoodfood. Today's obsession has been shipudei pargiot and rice and pitot and salatim. As in, Sima. In fact, I believe that was yesterday's obsession as well. I expect it will also make an appearance tomorrow. Though who knows... maybe tomorrow's edible heroin will be Pringles.

No no no...do not start thinking about Pringles. Bad bad idea.

And again (really) I am not hungry. The problem is not the quantity of food. The problem is the type of food. Instead of eating fun food, I am eating healthy food.

Take carrots for example. I have eaten six today. Three of them were eaten a mere half hour ago. I am trying to convince myself that they are JUST as satisfying as the butter-flavor popcorn available in the vending machine downstairs in the lobby.

Yes yes yes. Just as satisfying. Do not need that salt and butter and carbohydrates. Nope...do not need it at all.

And G-d help me, I still have 18.5 kg to go.

Oy. Either I am going to kill Roxie or she is going to kill me.

10 comments:

Hamburger Lad said...

You have butter flavored popcorn in the vending machine? How evil!

TeacherLady said...

My husband eats diet popcorn... I'm not a big popcorn freak.

Not that I'm a great authority, by any means, but there are some great tasting healthy foods out there. I've recently been eating spinach salad with diet balsamic vinaigrette, pine nuts, some dried cranberries and a sprinkling of goat cheese. You could cut out the goat cheese if you want, but I LOVE the stuff. I make a bowl of the salad to go with as many meals as possible to fill up quicker on better food since my biggest problem is that I eat such big portions.

We should start a blog with ideas and recipes for healthy food that actually taste good. I'm sure there are already some out there, but how many would be run by an Arab and a Jewish chick? :) We could call it "Give Pees a Chance". Oh man. I'm sorry. That was so lame. Hahaha... Oh dear. I think I've finally lost it.

Maus said...

Spinach?, am I a manatee?

Gila said...

http://arabchickandjewishchick.blogspot.com/

I sent you an invite to be an author on the blog. Yahala!

:)

Ahuva said...

What if you spiced the carrots to make them more interesting? I'm a huge Moroccan carrots fan.

"Give Peas a Chance"... isn't that also a t-shirt? Oh yeah, here it is: http://www.hugewonder.com/product_info.php?products_id=12

You can do this. You are the strongest woman I know.

cba said...

Carrots? Meh.

Pea pods! Now there's a delicious snack.

TeacherLady said...

Gila! I laughed out loud when I saw your message! I love it! I'll e-mail you when I get a little more time and we can decide if we seriously want to get something going and maybe help motivate each other to eat healthier... I need a buddy since my husband doesn't eat veggies AT ALL so he's not very helpful in that department...

Yes, I meant to type "Peas" and my brain died on me temporarily. Tough day at work. The first time I saw that pun was on b3ta.com I laughed then and I laugh now. I laugh at bumper stickers too. Sad, I know.

Maus, I put cheese in there for you!
Ahuva's right... Spices can make any veggie amazing. That's why I love Indian food, though the creamy elements make that less than healthy.

Anyway, good luck! I'll write to you!

cba said...

I've already bookmarked the Give Peas a Chance blog... just sayin'.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Careful about overdoing the carrot thing. I have a friend who actually turned orange! (ok, yellow, but it was still bad!)

Try alternating with celery or some other equally healthy vege that is not nearly as satisfying as junk food.

It seems like everyone around me is dieting!!!

RivkA with a capital A said...

OK, I am officially the first follower of your "Give Peas a Chance!"

I'm ready to read!

:-)