Sunday, January 4, 2009

More on Gaza

As an addendum to/continuation of my last post...

In respect to the anti-war demonstrations by Arab-Israelis, Sayed Kashua presents (in brilliant, sarcastic form) another point of view. Go read it, and then come back. I will wait.

waitwaitwaitwaitwait.....

You back? Yofi. Now my two cents. In respect to the West Bank--yeah, I am going to leave that alone. I feel it is a bit more complicated than how he presents it. However, I do agree with him in respect to the status of Arabs who are citizens of Israel. While I do not understand the support davka for Hamas, I do understand the dissatisfaction.

It does not have to be this way.

In respect to Hamas and Gaza, right now, war is the only option. In respect to Arab-Israelis, we still have other, peaceful, productive and just options. Like, for instance, dropping completely the bullshit argument that Arab in Israel should not complain because they have it so much better here than in Syria or Saudi Arabia. The question to be asked is whether they have it as good as the Jews. So long as the answer is "no"--so long as the Arab sections of Lod bear a striking resemblance to Aza (as per my co-workers who have been there) while the Jewish sections feature such luxuries as "sidewalks", --we have work to do. And so long as we continue to ignore this work, no one should be surprised if Arab-Israelis are not particularly enamored of Jewish-Israelis.

If anyone knows Mr. Kashua, please pass on to him that I do not know what I can do to improve matters, but I will do what I can.

For more on Gaza:

Jack is continuing his roundup.

The Muqata and Israellycool are liveblogging the war.

And please keep on praying for our soldiers. As I said yesterday, I am not afraid...but that is for myself. I am very afraid for them.

Even though it is not the first time I have noted this fear, it continues to surprise me. I would expect to be more removed--seeing how I do not have anyone involved. But instead I have this knot in the pit of my stomach, and I know that I will be checking the news anxiously every half hour or so to see that everyone is okay. I do not mind the fear. The opposite is true. It means I am more Israeli. And that is good.

***Update****

Op-ed from the Jerusalem Post on the same topic.

1 comment:

Maus said...

...................................
.........................cookies..
..............amount............
................................

I HAVE BECOME MY OWN VERSION OF AN OPTIMIST.
IF I CAN'T MAKE IT THROUGH ONE DOOR, I'LL GO THROUGH ANOTHER DOOR - OR I'LL MAKE A DOOR.
SOMETHING TERRIFIC WILL COME NO MATTER HOW DARK THE PRESENT.

RABINDRANATH TAGORE