Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ray, If I Had A Vote, I Would Give It To You

I stumbled across Ray Hanania's campaign for a Two State Solution and the Presidency of the Palestinian State while on Facebook (where else?). Intrigued, I followed link after link until I finally arrived at the Source--the Yalla Peace Website. Where I found outlined, in orderly bullet-point form, Hanania's Platform. How to divide up the land. What to do with the Palestinian refugees and the refugee camps. What to do with the settlers and the settlements. The payment of reparations to Palestinian and Jewish refugees. Apologies...by both sides. Cooperation...by both sides.

Peace.

Do I agree with everything in the Platform? No. Do I believe the Platform to be feasible? For all that the remaining bit of optimist in me says "well, why not?", my more dominant cynical and pessimistic self says "f**k no--the ______ will never allow it". (The blank can be filled in with any number of Israeli and Palestinian groups I believe to be obstacles to peace).

Do I believe the Platform to to be a most sane and most reasonable starting point than anything I have read in years? A proposal that actually takes the needs of both sides and the current reality (we are here, they are here, no one is going to disappear any time soon) into account? Yes. Without a doubt.

Mr. Hanania, I suspect that an endorsement from me, a Jewish and proudly Zionist Israeli, will do you more harm than good. (Not so much harm, as neither I nor my blog are particularly important. But, whatever.) Nonetheless, kol ha kavod, more power to you. I hope you win, because if you do, we all do.

15 comments:

Ray said...

Thank you for your support ... I think that Israelis and Palestinians are siblings in this world and I do appreciate your kind words. We don't have enough kindness between us so your comments are encouraging and helpful ... we need to do something different than we have in the past. Let's define the endgame and then work backwords n tackling the issues. Let's make peace first and not let the difficulties of some important issues stop us from continuing, no matter how long it takes. I'd rather be arguing over a final settlement on Jerusalem or land or refugees and settlers than continuing this conflict. Thank you for your encouragement. It shows at least to the skeptics that peace is possible between "enemies" who do not realize they are really just "estranged friends" ... Ray Hanania
PS any suggestions on how to get the ball rolling are appreciated from everyone

Rachael Risby-Raz said...

Ray should look at:
http://onevoicemovement.org/

shavuatov said...

That's a great link. Thank you. It all feels so far away from my life in the UK, but every Shabbat, we say a prayer for peace between Israelis and Palestinians. If only it were so simple.

rachel

Tzipporah said...

FYI, this is the second time this week I've heard about Hanania and his proposal (the first time was on Facebook via my rabbi - yes, my rabbi is on Facebook). I wish it could work. I think you're right, Ray. But unfortunately, too many people are invested in the conflict for it to end.

aliyah06 said...

I dunno--I think a lot of us would like to divest from the conflict. Palestinians and Israelis love their kids, want a future for them, and if we could separate the leaders of various factions on both sides who have a vested interest in rattling their sabers from the great mass of us who simply want to get on with our lives, I think we could move towards peace. I loved Ray's piece when I saw it in The Jerusalem Post, and immediately thought "He's got MY vote!" And I'm a pretty conservative religious Zionist. Now, as Ray asked, how do we move on from here? (I also support One Voice but it seems to have died out--no action there recently).

aliyah06 said...

I dunno--I think a lot of us would like to divest from the conflict. Palestinians and Israelis love their kids, want a future for them, and if we could separate the leaders of various factions on both sides who have a vested interest in rattling their sabers from the great mass of us who simply want to get on with our lives, I think we could move towards peace. I loved Ray's piece when I saw it in The Jerusalem Post, and immediately thought "He's got MY vote!" And I'm a pretty conservative religious Zionist. Now, as Ray asked, how do we move on from here? (I also support One Voice but it seems to have died out--no action there recently).

Alan said...

Isn't this described as "politics-free" blog?

Mongrel said...

Alan, you are right, a gazillion days ago I have written the same.

Alan, women do communicate in strange ways, in a matter of fact they twist and bend till they get it the way they WANT.

If not, they ignore and again start from another direction.

tafka pp said...

Great post, Gila. He's had my vote ever since I saw him on the I/P Comedy Tour.

(Ignore the mongrels)

WashingtonGardener said...

I tagged you with an Honest Scrap Award - see my 12/5/09 blog post at washingtongardener.blogspot.com on how to follow up.

Mongrel said...

Wonder how fried parrot might taste.

free dating said...

Thanks, I really enjoyed reading these...there are so many posts on your blog that I haven't yet read and I don't know if I'll ever get to them. One day, when I'm bored (does that ever happen?!), I'll go back and read the old ones I haven't yet read.
Until then, thanks for these links!

Mongrel said...

Holy cow, Free Dating has found you!

RivkA with a capital A said...

*sigh*

would that I could enjoy the same rosey glasses that you wear.

unfortunately we do not "all want the same thing."

polls of the Palestinians show that close to 90% of them support suicide bombers and terrorist attacks.

humor is great and co-existance would be wonderful, but let's not whitewash the fact that our national agendas are diametrically opposed.

We can't have peace with people who want to kill us, unless I we are willing to let ourselves be killed, which I am not.

*sigh*

ilona@israel said...

there is no two state soulution-there is two state dream... coz as soon as hamas will get some land they will ask for more..